Hypocrisy

If there is one thing that irritates the SHIT out of me, it's hypocrisy.  I hate self-righteous losers who can't manage to climb down off of their high horses, but more than that, I hate self-righteous losers who can't manage to climb down off their high horses while they scold other people for the same offense.  It's even worse when they are scolding people who aren't even guilty.

That's what we're dealing with here.  I kind of feel like the DOD rounded up a bunch of the most incompatible, weirdest people they could find and they sent them all to Okinawa.  There are a few GREAT people here.  They're like the sprinkles in a funfetti cake.  You find them and it's like a burst of sweet and color and excitement surrounded by a bunch of the same old white, spongy cake.  As a whole, the people on Okinawa are resentful, dramatic, bitter, socially awkward and downright catty.

The whole "woe is me" routine is getting old.  I'm tired of hearing everybody complain.  Military families KNOW that duty stations are not permanent.  We KNOW that we'll only be here for 3 years or so before they pack us up and send us someplace else.  I know people who would not only jump, but would HURDLE themselves at the opportunity to spend 3 years in Japan on the government's dime.  From what I've seen so far, very few Americans ON Okinawa are aware of how fortunate they are.  Or maybe they're aware and they just don't like to acknowledge it.  They'd rather sit around and piddle away their entire 3 or so years here feeling bad for themselves and throwing a total pity party.  All while being negative towards the people around them who choose NOT to live that way.

Excuse me but I refuse to be miserable here.  I refuse to let people's antagonism and addiction to dramatics define my three measly years here.  I won't subject myself and my family to that kind of pathetic behavior.  Why should I?

People can continue to talk.  To post pointed and condescending remarks on their Myspaces or blogs.  I don't care - freedom of speech and all that, right?  What it all comes down to is the sad fact that people are extremely jealous and lost and unwilling to experience anything good.  We're afraid of the unknown.  That's normal.  But being obsessed with fighting all chances at happiness seems a little bit bizarre to me.

I'm enjoying Japan so far.  And honestly I just want to do everything I can WHILE I can.  I think we deserve that.  We have 3 years, there's no reason I shouldn't know this island inside out by the time we leave here.  And I'll appreciate it for what it is.

So much for wordless Wednesday these past few weeks.

1 Response to "Hypocrisy"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    February 19, 2009 at 10:41 AM

    Dude - you gotta send me a message and let me know what's going on! Really!