Backwards Glancing

We are approaching another anniversary that Mark will most likely miss - he's missed a lot of them thanks to his Marine Corps career.  2009 marks our 8th year of "dating" and our 4th year of marriage.  Thinking back to our last anniversary, my heart swells.  We were not in a very good place emotionally, and God knows I was miserable for almost our entire 6 months in Texas but that weekend was wonderful, really.  We had a genuinely good time together.  And that was one of the only times we all really enjoyed during our stay in the Lone Star State.

Anyways I am feeling extra sentimental today since he just left to the states for a couple of weeks, but I just sort of feel overwhelmed with everything.  He'll not only miss our anniversary, but Amaris' third birthday, and at least 6 months of time he could have spent with his little girls (and obviously his "big girl"), to include whichever holidays come and go during that time.

Last night he tucked Amaris in to bed.  I overheard him talking to her while he was in there but I couldn't really make out the conversation completely.  Later he told me that he had teared up telling her to be a good girl for me while he was gone.  Ever since he went to a jungle training event on the northern end of the island a few months ago, she has adamantly insisted every time he is gone longer than a work day that "daddy's inna jungle," so last night with her cozy in her bed, he said to her, "Daddy is going to the jungle for a long time, so we're not going to be able to see each other.  You have to be a good girl for mommy, okay baby?"  She said, "Okay."  He'll be back before three weeks go by, so really it's not a ridiculously long time or anything, but even a month is an eternity when you're not quite 3 yet.

A longer trip "to the jungle" is on the way very soon.  My heart breaks.

1 Response to "Backwards Glancing"

  1. Minna-Kay says:
    March 21, 2009 at 3:07 AM

    I'm crying here, I wish it could be different. I really wish it could. I hope it zooms by completely uneventful. Hugs!