Hair

Today I went to a local hair salon.  And now I have no desire to ever get my hair done in America ever again.

A man named Tomo cut my hair.  And he did a fantastic job with the cut and style, but the best part was the shampooing.  Seriously, it was worth every bit of the extra ¥500 I paid for it.  At least.

I've come to a realization that Japan is a very relaxing country.  You get a pedicure, it comes with a half-hour long foot and leg massage that is absolutely blissful.  You go to the flipping barber shop for a quick and easy buzz cut (a la the Marine Corps) and you get a quick massage at the end.  At the hair salon, they incorporate a 15 minute scalp massage in with your shampoo.    And let me tell you, it is heavenly.  Now, I am like any other American in a foreign country.  I'm not quite a tourist so I'm not loud and obnoxious (although my kid sure can be), but I'm not a local.  Which makes me hesitant to DO things.  I've been able to silence and kick aside that hesitation for the most part because I figure I am only here for three years, I'd better get in as much as I can.  But it is hard.  It's hard for me to pick up the phone and call an all-Okinawan salon and ask for a haircut appointment.  It's hard for me to balls up, get out and do things.  Fortunately I've got seriously one of the greatest possible friends here with me and we are able to motivate each other to DO and SEE.  So we made these hair appointments together and in the salon we sat side-by-side while our kids played in the little "children's room".  We experienced.  We enjoyed.  And thank God for that.

In about 40 minutes, I'll be getting my eyebrows waxed.  By the time Mark gets home I'll be like a new woman!

1 Response to "Hair"

  1. LenoreNeverM♡re says:
    April 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM

    Love your wits...you are quite hee-heelarious! ;)