23 weeks

Our iMac needs a name. Especially if I am going to be using it as my pregnancy photographer.

Baby girl belly week 23:


Mark has declared me past the point of "sucking it in" and pretending I am not pregnant. When I was pregnant with Amaris, I was positive up through month 8 or so that I could still "suck in my belly" and appear to be totally normal. One day as I was getting dressed, I mentioned that to him, and then showed him my awesome rad "sucking it in" skills. He laughed at me. I waited till he'd left the room and then cried out of sheer humiliation. We laugh about it now, together. But at the time, it was so not the right thing to do.

Today I attempted to suck it in just for fun. He shook his head and said (very respectfully) "No, honey, you still have a bump." I'll not try to do it again. I feel like it's true that you are much bigger much quicker with subsequent pregnancies. Below is the photo I have from Amaris' pregnancy at week 23.

I guess that technically, the bump is similar. More importantly to note, though, is that at this point in Amaris' pregnancy I had already long given up "normal" clothes. I distinctly remember a friend taking me maternity clothes shopping when I was around 10 weeks along with Amaris. Once she'd done that, I never looked back. And apparently my ass had become an oddly-shaped block. My bump this time feels more definite though, despite the fact that I can still put myself into my size 5 and 7 bottoms without much issue. And baby girl is totally swimming and kicking up a storm in there. We have a lot of fun prodding her and waiting for her responses. (She'll be born annoyed with us, I'm sure. I know I was a lot more cautious and considerate of "baby's personal space" with Ami's pregnancy.) Amaris was active by this stage, but she was still dainty about her movements and very seldom gave me discomfort. Baby girl decided last night beyond a doubt that it would NOT be acceptable for me to sleep on my back any more. And she made it known. Several times in the car, she has positioned herself in a way that makes me miserable, which I am assuming is her way of expressing her opinion on my posture. Clearly it needs improvement. The other night, the moment I laid down on the Godforsaken air mattress, Mark put his hand on my belly, and baby girl gave a "kick" that made me say "WHOA!" out loud. Literally. Mark laughed. I am totally impressed with her strength, but also relieved that she has it, particularly when I watch sweet little maniac Amaris running around the house and I know that baby girl is going to have to hold her own with her. Hopefully this is a good sign that she'll have no trouble with that at all. At this point, I told Mark, "You don't need boys!!!" Of course we'd love to have one, though. Little boy clothes are nothing short of precious and I can't wait to make my son look like a tiny old man.

2 Response to "23 weeks"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    October 13, 2008 at 9:21 PM

    You have the cutest baby bump ever. Im finally going to bookmark your blog... I can never find it when I go look for it.

    Although... I do think we need a picture of you sucking it in hehe :)

  2. Krysta Martinez says:
    October 14, 2008 at 12:29 PM

    I think you look smaller this time than last time. Could just be the picture though. Art yelled at me every time I tried to suck in my belly cuz he thought I would squish the baby so I let it all hang out :)