Good Evening!

In Japanese, "kumbawa" means "good evening" - so any time we come through the base gates in the evening hours, or go to a restaurant or shop, the appropriate greeting is "kumbawa." Amaris likes that word. A lot. She "kumbawas" like it's going out of style.

The problem is that she doesn't "get" what it means. So instead of using it as a greeting, she calls any and all Asian people "kumbawa" at all hours of the day and night. Yesterday she got away from me for a moment at a soda machine while an Okinawan man was buying a drink. She opened the little dispenser door for him (she is so helpful) and said, "Here you go, kumbawa!"

I don't think the man really noticed, but man was I embarrassed.

2 Response to "Good Evening!"

  1. Krysta Martinez says:
    October 14, 2008 at 12:30 PM

    LOL she uses it almost like a racial slur.

  2. Tori says:
    October 15, 2008 at 2:39 AM

    Ok, first of all...you, woman, are awesome! I really need to keep up with your blog more. You're hilarious. ;)

    Second, this post totally reminds me of when I took Japanese in high school! You drudged up some weird memories. ;) So, I thought to share what little phrases I still know in Japanese. :)

    I love you. Aishite Imasu.
    Good night. Oyasuminasai.
    Good morning. Ohiyogozaimasu.
    Excuse me. Sumimasen.
    I understand/I see. Wakata.
    See you tomorrow. Mata ashita.
    I'm sorry. Gomenasai.
    Please. Kudasai.
    Thank you. Arigato.
    Thank you very much. Domo arigato.
    Bad. Dame desu.
    This. Kore.
    That. Sore.
    Yes. Hai.
    No. Ie.
    Delicious. Oiishi desu.
    Me/I. Watashi.
    Friend. Tomodachi.
    My friend. Watashi no tomodachi
    Mother. Oka san.
    Addressing children add -chan instead of -san. Ex: Ami-chan. ;)

    Cute, no?

    I wanna visit! Let's go to Tokyo and Sea Disney and...and...eat RAMEN! The real kind...

    Miss you!