Only happy when it rains.

All afternoon the thunder has been booming. I am pretty much a hermit, so I didn't realize it was thunder at all. I only put two and two together when I opened the front door to toss out a diaper and noticed a big black cloud looming off in the distance.

Then I came back inside, sat a while and thought and then heard another boom (till then I'd thought they were somebody driving by with a loud stereo... But really how many loud stereos drive down residential streets on Tuesday afternoons?) and realized it might be thunder. So I opened the door again and looked at the black cloud and sure enough I saw some lightening.

I gathered up my video camera and went outside after it got dark and took some footage of the lightening. One thing I will actually really miss about Texas is the freaky weird storms here. I've never seen anything like them. Except in Switzerland. The weather there was bizarre. Here it is actually quite similar. It can be hot and dry and disgusting and then all of the sudden there's lightening and thunder all night long.

Anyways a few minutes ago, it started pouring down rain. The landlady will be thrilled to know that the grass is being watered.

I love the unpredictability of Texas weather and the slow, movie-like way that storms creep in. The thunder really does roll (whereas in California it booms) and the lightening is like a continual strobe light through the trees and the clouds. When it comes in through the window at night, it feels like I'm getting my very own light show.

This morning California had a pretty noteworthy earthquake. Everybody's getting a little dose of something.

2 Response to "Only happy when it rains."

  1. Krysta Martinez says:
    July 31, 2008 at 6:26 AM

    I love thunder and lightning. Can't remember the last good thunderstorm around here. Wish I could have seen it! LOL @ finally watering your lawn. I'm trying to get my mom's lawn in better shape cuz I'm having my shower at her house and it's partially dead and partially jungle-like. Matter of fact, I better get my mom in better shape too!

  2. moliarti says:
    July 31, 2008 at 10:09 AM

    What is up with your landlady you reference her quite often. We felt the earthquake..you should have seen George's scared little face. It was funny. We are doing good. Miss you guys. Tell Amaris to call me.