We're having fun and we don't know why



This is easily the coolest song on Noggin these days. It makes me happy. Goofy old Dirty Socks Funtime Band and their hit, "Dinosauring".

We had an uneventful weekend. Mark ran in a triathlon (he was on a team, which I think is actually cheating as far as triathlons go... but whatever) on Saturday and then we came home and slept. And then we went to the crappy sushi place here in town and had some barely edible sushi. I heard somewhere that it takes 3 years to learn to properly make sushi. The chefs at Nakamura didn't bother to figure it out. Everything there tastes dry and dissatisfying, even when doused in various sauces.

Anyways, then yesterday we had breakfast at Denny's, took Amaris to the playground, ran a couple of unnecessary errands, and then cleaned house for movie night. Very eventful, see. We watched Dodgeball. To my disappointment. I wanted to watch The Goonies.

I'm getting increasingly more excited about going to Okinawa. The brainstorming about Disney parks led to a lot of researching and it turns out that MCCS in Okinawa has a really awesome, extensive website. And they offer a ton of really cool annual tours, both on and off the island. It's my intention to do AS MUCH traveling as we humanly can while we're there. And since Mark will inevitably be deployed at some point, I figure I'll have plenty of opportunities to save up money to fund these excursions.

MCCS also has a lot of job opportunities. I'd LOVE to score one. But I'm not real sure I'll feel comfortable putting the little bean in daycare. I'd really like to have Amaris in daycare even just for one day a week, but I am not sure I'll feel comfortable putting my newborn in someone else's care. So I'm not quite certain if and how that'll work out for us. Time will tell, I suppose. I may potentially just apply myself to school while we're there since they offer STAP to spouses of service members stationed in Okinawa, and Mark's GI Bill will finally be coming available to me as well. We'll see what happens.

At any rate we'll have plenty to do to fill our 3 years there. And of course, I'm looking forward to the food. Genuine sushi and yakisoba and...

Yes, we'll make the most of it. We'll have a good time. Mark my words.

3 Response to "We're having fun and we don't know why"

  1. Robert says:
    July 29, 2008 at 2:17 AM

    They take three years just to learn how to make the *rice*. Your bunk-ass impostor sushi chef dilemma would earn my pity if you're weren't GOING TO JAPAN TO GET THE MOST REALEST SUSHI KNOWN TO MAN! I shun your momentary sushi setback. Then I drink your milkshake. I drink it up.

  2. Krysta Martinez says:
    July 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM

    Sushi!? =P Yuck!

    LOL @ the Goonies. I have that movie. If you think Dodgeball is bad, watch Nacho Libre and you will think Dodgeball is great! Actually, don't watch Nacho Libre. It's a big waste of time. Just take my word for it.

    I too would be very excited at the Disney potential of this new adventure! I have been wanting to go to Disneyland SOOOO bad and I keep telling myself it wouldn't be worth it to only be able to go on Pirates, the Haunted House, and Nemo. But part of me thinks it WOULD be worth it! :) I think theme parks release some addictive drug into the air or something.

  3. Kari says:
    July 29, 2008 at 6:30 AM

    Robert... Isn't that what I said? 3 years just to learn to make the rice. I could swear that was what I said. If it wasn't, well, it was what I meant. And the sushi chefs in Texas are not even Asian. And I think they use instant rice. They don't even bother to really learn to make sushi. They just figure, "Hey, we can open a sushi bar and overcharge people for crappy rolls because there are no other sushi places in town. Hooray!"

    But yes, going to Japan and getting the best sushi ever. But you can come visit. As long as you bring my favorite Carrie.

    My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.



    And Krysta, I actually like Dodgeball. But I like the Goonies better. And I totally agree about the addictive drugs in the air. We call it the scent of churros. And the scent of waffle cones while you walk by the Gibson Girl ice cream parlor Main St. Seriously, though, my friend works there. And they actually DO release scents into the air throughout the park. To make you hungry. The bastards.

    Going pregnant isn't that bad, actually. It's kind of fun. I went when I was about 6-7 months along with Amaris and still managed to have a good time. It's worth it. It's always worth it.