Hectic from here on out

Tomorrow we are heading to San Antonio, finally! After 6 months in this shithole state, I'm finally getting to go to the ONE place I was interested in going to! On our second-to-last weekend here! (Excuse me while I roll my eyes at the sheer ridiculousness of that little fact.) I'm stoked beyond all reason! But at the same time, I know that as soon as we get home, we'll be thrust into a thousand different things all at once and that's a little spooky. Oh, here it comes - my favorite word these days: OVERWHELMING.

Tuesday will be a full day with lots to do and probably high-stress. And from there it'll be one visit from movers after another till the weekend when we're left with an empty house and some cleaning products.

I've been arranging details and booking various things all week. We've got carpet cleaners coming the day before we lock this place up, a rental car in Los Angeles, hotels, and pretty much everything in between that can be thought of. Left to do is to finish going through our belongings and purging the things we're 1) not taking and 2) won't want in 3 years. The goal here it to have as few pounds as possible in belongings. Losing the refrigerator helps, but we've still got way more crap than is necessary. And all that crap amounts to a lot of weight.

Amaris has learned lately to make animal sounds. She ribbits, neighs, baas, arfs, meows, tweets, clucks, quacks, and squeaks. She also refers to everything more than once - the first time normally (ie: "Look! A fork!") and the second time as a baby (ie: "Look! A baby fork!") She also recognizes the ultrasound photo of her younger sibling, as well as his/her heartbeat on the doppler at my prenatal visits.

Speaking of the baby, I've been incredibly shocked at just how much it is moving in there so early. I mean, rather than getting the weird gassy-poppy-bubbly feelings that Amaris' pregnancy brought signifying her ealiest movements, we seem to have skipped that completely and gone straight to jabs and pokes and prods. I am "kicked" several times each day. I thought I was nuts - I mean, I'm only 16 weeks along here. But at the Schlitterbahn last weekend, at one point Mark put his hand on my belly and then looked at me with wide eyes and said, "Was that the baby??" I don't know that I've ever seen his cute little halfway slanty eyes open quite so big.

We scheduled my ultrasound for September 8 so that I wouldn't have to struggle with traveling to Okinawa right around the time that most women have their "big" ultrasound. That relieves a little bit of stress, but at the same time creates the new stress over whether or not the baby at 18 weeks gestation will be compliant and reveal his/her gender to us. Either way. We'll have a 3D scan done in Southern California while we are there, so that'll hopefully be a little more reassuring as far as boy vs. girl.

Anyways that's the news. It is what it is. I'm beat.

1 Response to "Hectic from here on out"

  1. Krysta Martinez says:
    September 3, 2008 at 3:23 AM

    I hope you have a good trip! Good luck with making it through the week unscathed. I have an ultrasound scheduled for September 8th too! I said "Good, I can make sure she is still a girl before my baby shower!" Not like she could really change at this point but you can only develop a certain degree of surety from an early ultrasound.