What's The Happening

I was so excited to go see The Happening last night. I figured, sure, M. Night Shyamalan has cranked out some crappy films since The Sixth Sense - Signs and The Village were both total flops in my opinion - but The Sixth Sense was SO GOOD that I still held out hope for his first R-rated film. The previews all looked awesome.



So, for date night, we went to Bonsai Garden - a local Teppan-Yaki place. It was delicious. And then we went and caught the 7:15 showing of The Happening at Tinseltown, USA. The previews before the movie began were scary. There was a weird one for a movie called Mirrors and it actually gave me goosebumps.



And then the movie started. All through the movie I kept thinking increasingly that this had to be the worst movie ever. But I held on and kept watching because I wanted some resolution. A few parts gave me the creeps but for the most part I was just disappointed in the storyline and sub par acting. At one point, the row of high school students behind us freaked out and one girl screamed at the top of her lungs for a good 5 seconds. I'm talking blood-curdling. That was about the scariest thing that happened. It wasn't even at any of the parts that really gave me the creeps, either. Although maybe it would have, if I hadn't turned completely around the instant she started screaming to see what had happened to her. This is why they ought to keep teenagers out of R-rated movies.

Anyways we made it all the way to the end of the movie and I kept waiting to find out WHAT was the cause for all of this, and they didn't give a reason. The movie just ended, abruptly, with no explanations, no resolutions. What a disappointment and a rip off.

I don't recommend this movie.

Afterwards I was tempted to go and see The Strangers... But a part of me was just too upset with The Happening to fully accept a new movie. Maybe next time.

3 Response to "What's The Happening"

  1. Krysta Martinez says:
    June 17, 2008 at 3:03 AM

    Ooooh!!! I HATE wasting money on a bad movie! And it sucks that movies like that kind of keep you hanging for a resolve- just enough to keep you from getting your money back while you still have a chance- then they end up being lame all the way to the end! Sorry the movie was a waste of time, but I'm sure you still enjoyed your time out with Mark. Cute new layout BTW.

  2. Minna-Kay says:
    June 17, 2008 at 6:01 AM

    Sorry you didn't like the movie. But glad you had time to get out and away from the house for a while. You really deserved it. Hope you get to do it again soon.

  3. Amanda Allison says:
    June 23, 2008 at 1:46 AM

    Everyone is giving mixed reviews on this movie. My friend says its sooooo good, some others are like I want my money back!! And now you. Hmmm. Makes me wonder if I really want to see it. I still kinda do :p

    And NO, do not see The Strangers. That movie seems so CREEPY and SCARY...something that will not let you sleep for weeks!

    Mandy