Okie

I've pestered Mark daily for information on our upcoming orders. No dice. This has made me extremely antsy.

This morning, in between when he left home and when he needed to be in class, I got a phone call. Half-asleep, I launched myself out of bed and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"
"Hey, I heard something."
"What? You heard something?"
"Yeah. Okinawa."
(fully snapping to awake-ness and realizing what exactly he is talking about) "WHAT? Okinawa?!"
"Yeah, that's what I just heard. I guess from here we're going to a 'JSTARS' course in Yuma for 4-5 months, and then from there we'll be going to Okinawa."
"WHAT? Okinawa?!"
"That's what I heard. He said he's going to check for sure but he was pretty sure that was where I'd be heading."
(long pause) "Well, so much for getting what we wanted."
"Right?"
"Why do we have to go to Yuma?"
"Because everybody who goes to Okinawa has to complete the "JSTARS" training."
"Huh."
"Yeah, so that's what I heard. Just thought I'd let you know."
"Well thanks for calling. I appreciate the update."
"No problem. I've gotta go to class now, so we'll talk later. I love you."
"Love you too, baby."

So. Okinawa. I am not yet thrilled. I had a feeling all along that this would happen. I think it's an improvement from the potential garbage we faced with 29 Palms; but still the thought of Okinawa, after the message I received from a friend currently living there, is extremely scary.

Now, don't get me wrong. I AM excited about staying in another country. But from what I've heard about conditions for US military over there... And a lot of the garbage we'll have to go through... I am a little hesitant.

Either way, we'll make it work, no matter where we go. Because we'll be there together.

I guess part of me is most annoyed that we have to go to Yuma, AZ first. Which is basically the armpit of nowhere. And is also in the desert. I mean, it'll only be for a few months, but still. That'll amount to a total of like a year that Mark had to train for his next duty station. Which is lame. And then when we get to Okie, it'll be a whole 3 years there. It's just such a long process.

Anyways... That's my update. Make the best of things, I know. But it looks like we'll be spending Christmas in the desert. I'll be playing it by ear and taking things one day at a time for now.

Oh, and not that I actually buy into this stuff fully, not until I've got a copy of his orders in my hand. We'll just see what happens.

2 Response to "Okie"

  1. Minna-Kay says:
    June 12, 2008 at 12:13 AM

    Huggs!!!

  2. Krysta Martinez says:
    June 12, 2008 at 9:07 AM

    Hopefully our kindred spirit connection can stretch across the ocean!