one step forward, so they say.

I feel completely irritated.  How in the world do people further their educations without losing their minds?

Between FAFSA and my California Governor's Scholarship, I should have my first semester taken care of for the most part.  But somehow, I am struggling to get ends met.  My FAFSA was reviewed, approved, whatever.  But I've tried two different computers for a grand total of 3 different web browsers and two different operating systems and absolutely can not view my SAR.  I've called customer service and dealt with a guy who clearly felt superior to me.  No dice.  I figure I'll give it another couple of days and if UMUC can't access my report I'll call in and whine some more.

My scholarship is ready to use, but only for me under my maiden name.  So I filled out the required information change form and then read that my account will be frozen for 30 days after they receive changes unless I send it in with a "signature guarantee".  NOT a notary seal, but a signature guarantee.  They note that these can be obtained through certain banks and credit unions.  So today I headed over to Navy Fed.  I hate Navy Fed.  Seriously.

They won't issue a signature guarantee unless it is regarding a transfer of money directly to or from their institution.  Even though the signature guarantee I am asking for has nothing to do directly with money, and instead is the way the Savings Trust is trying to verify my identity.  Navy Fed sent me on my way.  I've never gone into that branch and had success.  They have never been able to assist me with anything I have ever needed from them.

So anyways I can send the form in to make changes to my scholarship account, but I won't have access to the funds for at least 30 days.  Which would make my tuition overdue at my school, because the account being accessible will happen too late.  And since my school requires immediate payment, that means I won't be able to register.  I'm in limbo.

I'm frustrated.  I feel like I'm no further progressed than I was when I was sitting on my ass being lazy about school.  The difference is that now I am actually TRYING to get things accomplished and am not having success.  It's totally obnoxious and I feel like I should just go back to bed.

2 Response to "one step forward, so they say."

  1. Minna-Kay says:
    December 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM

    Call the financial aid office at the school. Your fasfa funds won't be released automatically either, so it shouldn't be a problem on the scholarship as long as it is gonna show up. They deal with things like that all the time. Plus, the worst they can do is say no. Right?

  2. Krysta Martinez says:
    December 31, 2008 at 9:29 AM

    I am a notary and have never heard of a signature guarantee! Lame!