Merry Effing Christmas!

Mark requested a big block of leave for Christmas.  December 19-January 2.  His leave request was approved and all was fine.  Until today when they basically cancelled it without real warning.

He has not really taken leave in at least a year.  Between our move from Hueneme to Texas and then his intensive school schedule during our 6 months in Texas...  And then our move from Texas to Okinawa, we've been go-go-go since February at the very latest with NO breaks, NO passing "go", and NO collecting $200.  I am exhausted.  I was looking forward to this block of leave, which he'd noted on his request was not to leave the island, but to "spend some much needed time with family."  I was counting on that time.  Now it's gone.

I am irritated, to say the very least.  I feel like this whole thing is a total crock of shit.  I'm sure I'll get over it, but I feel like it's just one thing after another.  We're never going to have another break.

I know, I know.  Welcome to the Marine Corps, miss.

3 Response to "Merry Effing Christmas!"

  1. Anonymous Says:
    December 20, 2008 at 12:46 PM

    Did they say WHY? If there were too many leave requests, I would see if he could talk to someone and explain the situation. You guys need that leave!

  2. Krysta Martinez says:
    December 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM

    That totally sucks! Being that Art is in the grocery business and holidays and food go hand in hand, he also misses out on lots of holidays. We are crossing our fingers that he gets Christmas off this year.

  3. Kari says:
    December 20, 2008 at 4:42 PM

    Ash, "Mission Requirements" - that being said, Mark was the ONLY one to request Christmas leave, aside from the Gunny that they are still allowing to take his and the ONE other guy who is going back to CONUS for the holidays.

    That leaves... a ton of guys in Mark's shop. More than enough to cover the job. We're already discussing him potentially taking off the entire last half of January.