Bear with me...

I am easily annoyed.  But honestly, enough's enough.

I am NOT Japanese.  My husband is a miniscule fraction Japanese, my kids are even less.  We're Americans, though.  NOT JAPANESE.  I have nothing against Japanese people.  Japanese people are great.  Okinawans are divine!  But I'm an American, currently living in Okinawa.

Why is it that people have such a hard time grasping that?  They think that because I'm here for 3 years, I'm instantly a local.  The fact that I receive mail in Okinawa does not make me a citizen!  People who should know better, is the worst part.

"So, do you know how to make sushi?"
"No, I haven't learned how yet, but I'm hoping to.  I've always loved sushi.  It's one of the reasons I was excited to come here.  I will start experimenting with sushi as soon as I get myself a good rice cooker."
"Girl, you're Japanese now, you need to get yourself a rice cooker and start making sushi!"

Um, no.  I'm not "Japanese now".  I am not applying for citizenship, I do not speak the language, my eyes didn't magically go slanty and my hair didn't mysteriously become straight, shiny, smooth and black the moment we got off of our plane here in Okinawa.  I'm still a plain old American.  With peachy skin, green eyes and brown hair.  Our car's license plate has a distinctive "Y" on it - the island-wide mark of the "Yankee".  We don't have a tatami room in our apartment, and quite honestly, we don't even have Japanese electrical outlets.

Quit implying that my family is something that it so blatantly isn't.  It's probably offensive to the local population.  We are just visitors here, we are not permanent.

5 Response to "Bear with me..."

  1. Minna-Kay says:
    January 17, 2009 at 12:06 AM

    I love this rant. Sorry I just do. I can totally understand the frustration. Some ppl are stupid. But I can't wait until you get a rice cooker......lol

  2. Jennifer says:
    January 17, 2009 at 12:45 PM

    man, I didn't realize you Japanese people were so sensitive.

    On a more serious note, as an "American" living in Okinawa, do Japanese people take as many pictures at home as they do here or is there some inherent beauty in Riverpark that I'm missing?

  3. Krysta Martinez says:
    January 17, 2009 at 1:56 PM

    Tell them just because they make better electronics... and cars... and everything else... than Americans doesn't mean they can boss you around. :)

  4. Kari says:
    January 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM

    Yes, they really do take that many pictures. And they really do always make the 2-finger-peace-sign in every picture. Its pretty hysterical, actually!

  5. Jennifer says:
    January 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM

    thanks for responding in English.