Sick and tired of being sick and tired

My head is throbbing.  My ears won't pop.  My throat aches.  My chest is sore.

I am officially sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Everyone in the house has recovered from this cold except me.  I am hacking nonstop.  I can't get enough rest.  I am miserable.  I'm popping Tylenol Cold pills just to survive the days (and nights) and because of the size and position of baby girl, almost every time I cough I end up peeing myself.

Yes, seriously.

I've been doing laundry constantly because of it.  Lest I run out of yoga pants.

Yesterday, I thought to myself, it'd be nice if she was born soon because then I'd at least be able to take whatever medicine I wanted to rid myself of this crud.  And then I decided that having one kid wake me up in the middle of the night for no freaking reason was enough and that I had better just cross my legs till I'm feeling healthy again.

Amaris has been struggling to recover her old sleep habits since she recovered from the cold.  She got so used to us getting up with her when she'd wake up mid-way through the night to tend to her needs that now she's addicted to the attention.  She wakes up between 1 and 5 AM each night, crying and asking me for the "smells good" or for "may-sin".  Then we have to explain to her in her half-sleeping state that she doesn't need Vicks VapoRub or Tylenol because she isn't sick anymore.  And that it's not okay to wake up in the middle of the night every night and ask for those things anymore.

So my nights are spent sleeping from somewhere around 10PM till about 9AM, with several interruptions.  Every time I wake up, I cough.  Every time I cough, I pee.  While I'm up peeing, I end up hacking up lots of phlegm into the bathroom sink, and then I continue on coughing for around an hour before I can get back to sleep.  Which I feel is pretty rude of me, so one night I got up out of bed after half an hour of incessant coughing and dragged myself, my blanket and my pillow to the couch, where I stayed for four hours before Mark noticed I was missing and came to retrieve me, saying that he didn't mind the coughing.  (Yeah, right!)

I just feel pretty hopeless at this point.  For some reason I'm not able to kick this.  I recall reading somewhere that during pregnancy the mother's immune system takes a big dive as it applies itself to keeping the baby healthy.  I had just never tested that theory.  I can vouch for it's legitimacy now.

This sucks.

1 Response to "Sick and tired of being sick and tired"

  1. Minna-Kay says:
    January 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM

    Hugs! I wish I knew what to tell you, but I don't have a magic pill. You are doing everything I would do. Drink lots of Orange Juice. Vitamin C is important to get well. I really hope you feel better really soon. Rest as much as you can, drink lots and feel better.