On an Island in the Deep

So it's Marine Corps Ball time! Happy belated birthday, Marines. :)

Last year, I spent the entire day fretting about making things JUST right.

Today, after having seen myself in my gown (which, by the way, I paid WAY too much for and it looks nothing like the picture it was advertised with) several times and feeling disappointed at my lack of feminine curves thanks to my pregnant belly, I am less motivated. Add to that the fact that I honestly am low on supplies and can't make EVERYTHING perfect and I know that and you have my current mood. I mean, had our shipment arrived here when it was originally supposed to (by November 2), I might have a little more drive. But since it didn't get onto the island till Wednesday and won't be delivered to my house till Monday, I am lacking. No curling irons, no jewelry, bare minimum makeup supply, etc. Not that everything would have been in the shipment - I mean, I would still have needed to buy hair products and such - but at least I'd have not had to buy other necessities, like the new bra and the new "formal" shoes - and then I might have had some extra cash to spend on the little details.

But I didn't. And I honestly still don't know what I am doing with my hair. I have it up in experimental option number 1 right now - rag curlers - and if I hate this, I'll have to rinse it out and start over. We'll see what happens.

By the way, fire engines just arrived at my tower, and a Japanese fire man (who looked an awful lot like Jackie Chan) just came to my door and asked to check my kitchen smoke detectors. And yes, that picture really IS an accurate representation of what I look like right now. It's a damned good thing that I put the shirt on. I was considering hanging out in my bra till I had my hair figured out.

Anyhow, I am playing the procrastination game. I don't want to take my hair down till Mark gets home with my hair spray (I didn't have any of that, either) and I am scared to start on my makeup because, like I said, I might end up re-starting with my hair. So for now I am just hanging out and doing nothing productive. Really good, right?

Last year's Kari would be so disappointed. And so would a handful of other people I can think of (Ifer, grandma, Aunt Sheri, etc). Oh well, it is what it is, and I am what I am.

2 Response to "On an Island in the Deep"

  1. Minna-Kay says:
    November 15, 2008 at 4:50 AM

    If anyone is disappointed in you it ought to be because you don't realize how truly beautiful you are. Heads up! I'm sure the ball went fine and I am impatiently awaiting the pictures. Lot's of hugs! It will all be over soon and you will be surrounded by pink lace not caring what anyone thinks.

  2. Krysta Martinez says:
    November 15, 2008 at 9:08 AM

    Ha! He probably thought it was some crazy American hair-do. Seriously, rag curlers? I haven't done that since 6th grade and had forgotten all about them until now. That was very resourceful of you. And I don't know how you've managed to survive this long without hairspray.