Sweet Potatoes

My newest dilemma is sweet potatoes. I was looking forward to cooking some delicious Thanksgiving sweet potatoes this year, and didn't really want to use the canned variety. But sweet potatoes here in Okinawa are... well, purple. Really purple.

And purple yams just doesn't seem Thanksgiving-y to me. In fact, it seems downright weird. Ah... Every day is a new adventure.

4 Response to "Sweet Potatoes"

  1. Jeku says:
    November 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM

    Purple yams are yummy! We call them ube in tagalog

  2. Kari says:
    November 23, 2008 at 10:29 PM

    They really don't taste any different than orange yams to me. They just LOOK so much different that it seems un-Thanksgiving-y to even attempt. But, I have a bag of them, so I'm sure I'll be making the effort either way.

  3. Amanda Allison says:
    November 25, 2008 at 7:02 PM

    Just color them with an orange sharpie and problem solved! lol

  4. Anonymous Says:
    November 26, 2008 at 9:36 AM

    ube ... good to know. Sad that I learn more tagalog from random internet encounters than I do from my own Filipino husband.

    I think purple sweet potatoes sounds really neat, actually!